Return to St Andrews Open home page

St Andrews Golf Courses

The town of St Andrews is recognised the world over as the golfing mecca. The five full courses (which are all owned by the City of St Andrews) suit golfers of all abilities. In addition there are a host of nearby world-class courses, within a 15-mile radius of the town

   
The Old Course (Par 72)

The most famous golf course in the world. The Open was first played on the Old Course in 1873, and has returned to the home of golf 25 times since. From the medal tees, it averages 6566 yards.

The New Course (Par 71)

The second golf course in St Andrews - and named "The New" to distinguish it from its illustrious predecessor. Designed by Old Tom Morris, the New was opened in 1895. From the medal tees, it averages 6604 yards.

 
The Jubilee Course (Par 72)

Opened just two years after the New on 22 June 1897 - A public holiday to celebrate the 'diamond jubilee of Queen Victoria's accession. The Jubilee is 6805 yards from the medal tees, with a less challenging version, known as the Bronze Course, measuring 5674 yards (Par 69).

The Eden Course (Par 70)

Opened in 1914 to alleviate some pressure from the other courses the game's ballooning popularity was having. The Eden is 6112 yards from the medal tees.

 
The Strathtyrum Course (Par 69)

This course was designed to offer a shorter, less testing round, making it very popular with novices. It is 5094 yards long.

The Balgove Course (Par 30)

Where the children of St Andrews learn the game. After upgrading in 1993, this 9 hole course measures 1530 yards.

 
The Castle Course (Par 71)

The recently opened 7th Course. Located to the South East of the town

Golf Scotland list details of every golf course in Scotland - here's their golf courses in Fife.


Any site comments, including technical, please tell us
Home ~ Last updated 16 July, 2015 ~ Site Map