The Jubilee Course
Opened on 22 June 1897, the day of a public holiday to mark Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. The course originally had only 12 holes and was intended for ladies and beginners, but successive re-designs has left the course arguably the toughest in the town.
The course lies on the narrow strip of land between the New Course and the West Sands, and is famous for it's exposed raised tees.
Since it was opened in 1897, the Jubilee Course has undergone three major re-designs.
In 1902 the course was ex trended to 18 holes. This could only be done with the agreement of the Rifle and Artillery Volunteers, which saw play stopped to allow them to practice at the butts towards the end of the course.
In 1938 work began under the guidance of Willie Auchterlonie (Open Champion in 1893). The war years saw work almost stop, but Willie finally struck a drive from the first tee to open the course in 1946.
In 1988 the last redesign was undertaken by Donald Steel. Many holes were lengthened though the addition of new raised tees, and given the proximity to the Bay the chance for the famous unruly winds to play havoc with many a drive.